Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Kindergarten & Arabic

Really, this was to be my daughters thank you note to Uncle Scott, Aunt Brandi and Mason for her Target Gift Card for her birthday. Do you see what is wrong? This child is excelling in kindergarten ... no problems, but with being taught Arabic because of a grant our elementary school she attends has, I see one in this picture. I don't mean to hurt any ones feeling on this, but it is only slightly bothersome. She is very excited to learn other languages (including her excitement in learning Arabic as it is something fun and different, it is not something she comes home telling me she does not want to learn), she also loves it when Marianne teaches her little bits of German or when someone shows her Sign, she loved that in Preschool, and still does in Kindergarten.

Is this confusing my child? Is she writing right to left because that is how Arabic is being modeled to her? NO, I am sure she is just having fun with this new way to write ... it looks different, and I am not going to any board meeting to voice my opinion so this is not really my soap box right now. I guess if I continue to see it as an issue then maybe I will press on and find a soap box to voice my opinion from. -b

7 comments:

Annika said...

Why teach Arabic? If I may ask?
Beautiful picture!!! Love it :)

Marner Family said...

Mid-Prairie has a grant to teach arabic in the Kalona Elementry School so both Camden and Emily are learning it. The grant I believe is about to run out, and I am not sure if it will be renewed. -b

Football and Fried Rice said...

Hmm?? I think it is kinda cool & I probably wouldn't be too concerned about it - I think she looks like she is definitely excelling!! Wow!! Cole is learning some Latin (along with Spanish) this year - I think the exposure is very good for them & I doubt my kids will master a second language (at this rate!) But maybe ti will encourage them to explore it when they are older.

Thanks for your sweet message!! I am trying to come out of hiding :)

safmomma said...

Seriously! It is a bit hysterical. I can't believe they teach Arabic. Why not a language they may use sometime?

Marner Family said...

I agree, and I am hoping that once the grant ends they will pick up Spanish in the lower grades too since they start teaching it in 4th and 5th grade, at least it will be something they can use/teach me! -b

Prachar family said...

Gabriel did that as well...without any Arabic lessons. Some kids just do it because they get turned around when they get started. His teachers said not to worry about it, so I didn't and it went away quickly! I personally think that it takes EXTRA talent to write everything the opposite way!

Marner Family said...

Extra Talent ... yes, I like that! She does do it quickly as to not even be thinking/trying to do it on purpose. Camden did it to, but it would just be one or two letters. Like his p,b,d ... this is whole words. I agree it is just a small phase. I don't really think it has much to do with Arabic, just seems to fall at the same time! -b